Re: Bowspirits

Lars S. Mulford (mulford@bellatlantic.net)
Thu, 06 May 1999 08:22:23 -0400

Mary Rickman-Taylor wrote:

> I rather like the idea of picturing a Potter with a prominent
> bowspirit--and don't forget the nekid mermaid figurehead as well <grin>
> Judy B. what would that do to the sailability?

Mary:

Which Potter do you have? I can recall only one example of a P19 with
bowsprit that I have seen, and it was on the trailer and I never had the
opportunity to see it perform. I've seen two P15s with bowsprits,
including ECPA Secretary-General TJ Bartruff's own Potter which has a very
nicely fashioned bowsprit and cutter rig. I've seen this boat sail on
several ECPA occasions, and my take on it was that in light to moderate
airs, it would out perform other P15s by what accounted for a considerable
margin. (Of course, TJ's sail area is almost twice that of a standard
rigged P15, which would have something to do with that!) TJ never commented
on any undue tillar forces or the like and it looks like a good and valid
setup.

--
"Sea" ya!

--Lars S. Mulford, President East Coast Potter Association (ECPA) Come visit us at http://members.tripod.com/~SpeedSailor "Forgive, and live. Life is worth the challenge of living." --LSSM