[Fwd: closed cell foam] - Polyurethane or Styrofoam? That is

SolarFry@aol.com
Fri, 7 May 1999 15:36:15 EDT

slithytove@earthlink.net writes:

I thought this might be of interest to anyone thinking of adding
floatation. Defender has pour in foam also but theirs costs about $75
for 4.8 cu ft after paying shipping and a surcharge for hazardous
material.

--------------------
From: Bernard Johnson <slithytove@earthlink.net>
To: info@utahfoam.com <info@utahfoam.com>
Date: Tuesday, May 04, 1999 7:19 PM
Subject: closed cell foam

>I am looking for a pour-in place type rigid closed cell foam to use as
>floatation material in a boat hull. Do you have anything suitable, and
>if so what price?
>
>Thanks....
>
>Hi Bernard:

Thank you for your internet inquiry. We are a full line manufacturer of
polyurethane foam.
We do have the flotation foam you are looking for in your boat hull.
The system is called Utah Foam Products Series 100-2-45P which is a 2lb.
density pour polyurethane foam with a 45 second reaction time.
This system can be purchased in one (1) gallon kits which will yield about 7
cubic feet for $58.00 per kit. It can also be purchased in 5 gallon kits
which will yield approximately 40-45 cubic feet for $250.00 a kit.
Should you require more, 15 gallon kits and 55 gallon kits are also
available.
If you would like literature to be sent, please provide land address.
Thanks.

I would recommend use of styrofoam blocks. You can glue em onto each other
and boat with "Great stuff" which is same thing as "pour in". Styrofoam will
not suck up water like that yellow/orange pour in stuff does. After a season
that yellow/orange stuff gets heavy with water from condensation, rain, etc.

SF