Re: Almost lost my mast.... operator error.

Steve Barnes (Oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 14 May 1999 11:40:16 -0700

Bill Combs wrote:

> Being almost entirely self-taught in these areas, I apparently do some
> unusual things. In this instance, I use SS bolts and aircraft nuts for
> all fastenings that secure standing rigging. Not a clevis pin (nor,
> obviously, cotter pin or ring) to be found. This is most assuredly
> secure and inarguably faster, but does anyone see anything wrong with
> it from any other viewpoint?

What's an aircraft nut? Is it a "wing nut?" From one nut to another.

Was at the boat yesterday and taped the rings on rigging at deck level.
That stuff, all the standing rigging, has some rust on it. It is a
1991. Should I rerig? If so, just new wire on stays or also new those
adjustable gadgets at deck level? I've heard that cruisers should rerig
every 10 years, but they actually use those boats constantly, so
presumably us weekend sailors don't need to, but how long should we
go? Wait till something breaks? Hate to do that. This rig is under
pressure, in addition to being tall, with a 1.5" bend in the mast.

:)

Steve Barnes, now a lurker, sailing a Capri-16, #74, in San Diego.
(former WWP-14 skipper)
OLDSURFDUDE