Re: Steering Adjustment Screw on Nissan 5.0 4-stroke

Steve Barnes (Oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 19 May 1999 14:01:43 -0700

David & chardy Lang wrote:

> I own the same Motor. No you cannot tighten the screw enough to keep the
> enging from pivoting. I already tried this. I am contemplating ways to
> attach the rudder and motor together. I experimented by moving the motor
> with the rudder together and it is much more responsive. I know there was a
> discussion a while back on how to do this. Any suggestions out there?

My Nissan 3.5 was the same way, but I found that there was a spring on
the screw which, even when compressed all the way, did not allow the
screw to engage enough to stop the swivelling. I removed the spring and
now rotate the screw all the way in to stop the swivelling. It's
probably poking a little hole where the screw point contacts the
thingamabob, but what the heck, it works. I can unscrew it and still
swivel the motor when I need to.

:)

Steve Barnes, now a lurker, sailing a Capri-16, #74, in San Diego.
(former WWP-14 skipper)
OLDSURFDUDE