Re: Shrouds

David A. Beisel (dbeisel@ibm.net)
Thu, 20 May 1999 09:17:08 -0600

From: Magico1@aol.com <Magico1@aol.com>
To: JBlumhorst@aol.com <JBlumhorst@aol.com>; wwpotter@tscnet.com <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Date: Wednesday, May 19, 1999 7:51 PM
Subject: Re: Shrouds

>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> All big Potters from 1971 to 1992 were equipped with backstays. Most of
>which were non adjustable, and only used for support. Herb Stewart and
>Stanely Smith were great boat designers, however Joe Edwards was not a boat
>designer. He was the one that decided to go to a lighter mast and leave out
>the backstay. I would like to hear from sailors that have recently added a
>backstay to their P.19's after sailing them for a couple of years without
>one. Does she sail better? Jerry Barrilleaux

I installed one of Jerry's backstay kits. I think they are extremely well constructed. I had put
the mast up with a line attached to the masthead fitting, measured it and gone to West Marine and
had the stainless steel line fabricated with swage fittings. I bought a turnbuckle for it and just
held my breath that it would all be the right length. The first time we went sailing, I put it up
and it was correct to the inch. I didn't adjust it very tight, just enough to take the slack out
and so it feels like it is straightening out the furler and balancing the load on the mast between
the backstay and furler. I have a 150% Genoa and furler and I think a backstay is absolutely
necessary. It really used to pull the mast forward when the wind came up. Now I really think it
sails upwind better.