Re: Shrouds & Bendy Rigs

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Thu, 20 May 1999 23:28:15 EDT

In a message dated 5/20/99 6:07:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ttursine@gnt.net
writes:

> OK, Judy, now that my opinions are out, it's time to learn something.
> I've never had the opportunity to experiment with a "bendy" rig, so
> I'm curious about the nature and magnitude of the effect. Your talk of
> 1"-2" changes implies a powerful cause/effect relationship.
>
> In the absence of an adjustable backstay, changes in sail flatness and
> draft position (to accommodate wind ferocity) are made by adjusting
> halyard, outhaul, and sheet tension -- and maybe the vang if one sails
> sans traveler. My question is: does creating a concavity in the luff
> by bending the masthead sternward offer an additional capability or is
> it just an alternate, easier way to adapt to increasing winds? More
> simply: are the results _significantly_ different/better or just more
> easily achieved?
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Combs
> WWP 19 #439 (Aug 1987)
> "Ursa Minor"
> Fort Walton Beach FL
> ttursine@gnt.net

Hi Bill,

The short answer is this:

The results are significantly different, more effective (same as easier?),
and make your boat more seaworthy ( seaworthy is better, right?)

the long answer is..... well, long.

I'll find some time to put it together. There are whole chapters in most
sailing books that answer your question. I'll try to summarize it in a page
or less and send it to you.

Best,
Judy