Re: Lateen Rig

Perry W. Phillips (perrywphillips@prayercircle.org)
Sun, 23 May 1999 09:07:28 -0500

From: Gordon <hlg@pacbell.net>
To: wwpotter@tscnet.com <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Date: Sunday, May 23, 1999 12:54 AM
Subject: Re: Lateen Rig

Harry: and others interested in Frodo's rennovation

>You are not the only junk rig fan in this group. Steve Barnes (OldSurfDude)
is also planning on assembling a junk rig Potter.

I did receive a message from Steve advising me of a book about Junkrig
conversions. I had already invested in the Hasler/McLeod book Practical Junk
Rig, but I would be interested in checking out a copy of his book from the
library.

>Also are you aware that a junk rig was offered as an option on one of the
UK-built Potters?

I've also communicated with Bruce Longstaff, who lives in England, and he has
given the information about my Potter to someone there who sounds like an expert
on the boats. He also told me of a couple of Junk rigged Potters there. I've
seen the pictures of the Junk Potter on the net as well.

>My 1967 Potter 14 had a gunter rig.

Frodo also came with a Gunter rig, but the original spars had been destroyed and
the work was not completed on the replacements before Hurricane Andrew took away
some of Frodo's other pieces. By the way I have some very good Gunter sails for
sale should anyone be interested. Make me a fair offer and pay the shipping and
they are yours (whoever).

>lateen rig

I appreciate the detail that you've given here. I'm going to really study this
closely. I've been concerned about over doing my supports, and also have a real
concern about the added weight on deck with the tabernacle. If anything sways
my decision to go with a simpler socket set up, it would be the weight problem.
Your idea, and those by Steve, Lars and Larry Brown, all seem to be good
approaches. I really don't care to reinvent the wheel. If simplicity works, it
may just be the better way to go.

If you have time, take a look at the line drawings on my webpage of my proposed
conversion. In addition to the structures shown, the cabin top is also
re-enforced with cross struts that go completely across the deck to the hull on
either side. This boat was obviously built overly strong.

I've got to run for now, time for Church and Bible class, My job calls...

Thanks for your very helpful input.

Perry

Perry W. Phillips
"A better world begins with you!"

1970 C Type "Frodo" Un-numbered Hull
http://www.prayercircle.org/pwphil/pwphil.html
Port Arthur, Texas (Sabine Lake/Gulf of Mexico)
http://www.prayercircle.org
prayercircle@prayercircle.org = For Prayer Request