Re: boom outhaul -- Every inch lost adds 3 inches of draft to

RSKARAM@aol.com
Sun, 23 May 1999 13:09:07 EDT

In a message dated 5/22/99 3:29:00 PM, JBlumhorst@aol.com writes:

>When the sailmaker adds slugs to the sail, s/he should measure the boom
>
>length first. That would identify a potential problem -- the foot of the
>
>sail gets about 1.0 to 1.5 inches too long to be properly outhauled on
>the
>stock boom.

Dear Judy -
With great concern, commitment and confidence I believe you are wrong
about the slugs creating a potential out haul problem.
With or without the slugs, the distance between the goose neck and
the end of the boom remains the same. If you put slugs on the goose neck you
of course would be lengthening the foot of the sail on the boom, but that is
not the case.
With or without the slugs on the sail, the foot of the sail is in
exactly the same position because you have not changed the position of the
goose neck.

Richard S. Karam
P-15 #2098 Oops
Oklahoma City Commodore