Re: Apples & Oranges - it appears we could have both!!!!

DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com
Mon, 24 May 1999 09:10:46 -0700

Well spoken, Ken!

In my opinion,the only good reason to put slugs on a P-15 is if you want to be
able to raise and lower the main while seated in the cockpit.This also requires
routing the halyard aft. Slugs decrease performance (in theory, anyway) add
complexity, and lengthen set up time.

Raising and lowering a bolt rope main as small as the P-15's is no big deal. A
lot of the attention slugs get on the list is due to the P-19s, on which slugs
are very desireable. On the 19, the mast is some distance from the cockpit and
requires going up on the cabintop to use the halyard. Also, since the 19 does
not have the full batten, four sided sail, the sail sets nicely with slugs and
stores neatly on the boom, neither of which is a feature of slug equipped P-15s.

My P-15 came with slugs, I've since removed them.

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632 Tilly Lucy
Palo Alto, CA