Re: Slugs and Sailing, what about a feeder?

Lee Page (megjac@prodigy.net)
Wed, 26 May 1999 19:15:22 -0700

I disagree. I don't use sail slugs, although I may add them this summer. I
do use a sail feeder which works very well for me, and I do all the things
Richard describes. I mount the sail before launching, starting the head of
the mainsl' through the feeder and into the slot and securing the furled
sail with a long bungee on the boom. When I am ready to raise sail, after I
snap the bungee off its hooks (2), "all I need to do is pull on the old
halyard. I can do everything from the cockpit." As long as the head of the
mainsl' is kept in place through the feeder and in the slot, raising the
sail functions form me pretty much like it does with slugs.

The advantage I see with slugs, and the reason I will probably add them to
my rig, is the ease of dropping the sail (or lowering it for reefing), and
the convenience of having a secure gathered luff when furling the lowered
sail.