Re: polyeurethane sealant

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Sat, 29 May 1999 01:13:26 EDT

In a message dated 5/28/99 9:15:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Muskraattt@aol.com writes:

> any recomendations about pros or cons of applying polyeurethane sealant to
> hull?Will it have an adverse reaction to gelcoat?
>
> Rob Mitchell
> P-19
> Nashville,tn

Hi Rob,

Are you talking about bedding a fitting? (You're not talking about painting
your topsides with polyurethane paint, are you?)

A polyurethane adhesive/sealant (such as 3M 5200) will not harm gelcoat. At
least it won't soften it in any way.

However, I would think very carefully before you use polyurethane
sealant/adhesive/bedding compound -- whatever you bed with polyurethane
sealant will NEVER come off without pulling chunks of the fiberglass and
gelcoat with it. If you use 5200, the thingy is attached absolutely
permanently.

What repair are you doing? Maybe ppolyurethane is okay, but maybe there's a
better bedding compound for your repair.

Best,
Judy