Re: Disappointed new Potter 15 owner needs advice from other

Gordon (hlg@pacbell.net)
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 10:48:47 -0700

Jeff:

What a disheartening experience!

I don't know if anyone can reassure you at this point, but I'm convinced
the P15, with its iron centerboard, relatively flat bottom, and modest sail
area, is as stable as any centerboard dinghy and more stable than most.
Putting 250 lb on the rail with the CB retracted was a bad idea, but you
probably wouldn't have capsized if the CB had been down. The strong
current, trying to push the boat under the dock, was probably a
contributing factor also.

My first sailboat was a 10 ft pram, which I sailed from the seawall in my
backyard. My house was on a canal in Merritt Island, FL. I had just
returned from sailing one day and was standing up in the boat, securing
things, when I lost my balance. Instinctively, I grabbed the mast and held
on, which just resulted in my capsizing the boat as I fell into the canal.
In that instance there was no harm done, except to my dignity, and I came
out of the water laughing.

I wonder if your capsize could have been initiated in a similar manner.

Anyway, Potters certainly can be capsized, but all the capsize stories I've
heard previously involved wind and waves, generally in combination with a
procedural error. I normally board the boat into the cockpit, keeping my
weight toward the center of the boat, especially after launching, when the
CB is still retracted. But I and others have often stepped on or off the
boat from the bow when the CB is down. (I'm 6 ft 1 in and weigh 180 lb.)

On one occasion, I was trying out a self-steering arrangement that linked
the tiller to the mainsheet so that the boat self-steered at a constant
angle to the wind. It worked very well, even when I moved about the boat
and then stood on the bow with one hand on the mast. The wind was light and
the water was smooth.

On the other hand, at the end of Stanley Smith's booklet, "October Potter,"
the designer of the Potter wrote the following warnings:

"(1) A light 14ft centre board boat can only be a freak if you can tramp
about the foredeck without fear of turning her over. Be careful. If you
have others on board and need to go forward on deck, see that they move
well aft in the cockpit so that the stable sections aft can do their job.

"(2) Remember always that the Potter is a 14ft centre-board dinghy, with a
cabin. Sail her with your main-sheet free to let run, pass it under the
cleat at the aft end of the case by all means, but do not make it fast
unless you are very sure of the conditions.

"(3) Keep the plate down always when you are on board unless circumstances
definitely dictate otherwise. If you do have it up in such circumstances,
never forget that it is up, and let it down again without fail when
circumstances allow."

In light air, with the CB down, and singlehanded, I've never had a problem
on the occasions when I've gone forward to change headsails. But I do have
a downhaul so that I can lower the jib from the cockpit without going
forward.

Maybe the most reassuring information I can give you is that I have sailed
Manatee for 29 years now and have never capsized, even though I have
occasionally flaunted Stanley's rules. In fluky winds, I have been nearly
knocked down by a gust, which required me to throw my weight to windward
and let the tiller go (throwing it to leeward), in which case the boat
rounded up without taking in any water. I never had any sailing
instruction, and my only previous boat was the aforementioned 10 ft pram,
which had a lateen rig.

There are many skippers your size who sail Potters successfully. Your extra
"ballast" can be helpful on a windy day but needs to be positioned
properly.

> Wet and shaken, I tallied my losses: Pocket Electronic
>Organizer $250, Cell Phone($ ??), Electric Garage door opener on my key
>ring $35, CD Player/Boom Box $200, Wallet and all contents (cards
>and pictures) soaked with saltwater, Outboard motor totally saltwater
>immersed $500. All gear and personal possession were soaked
>with saltwater.

Very expensive and discouraging! Your motor might have been okay if you
could have drained out any saltwater that got into the cylinders, dried out
the ignition system, then ran the engine in a barrel of freshwater. I don't
have any experience with a dunked motor, but I've read accounts of others
whose motors suffered no after effects.

>1) Have you ever capsized your Potter (or come close), and what were the
circumstances that led up to it?

There is a collection of "turtle tales" on the Potter Yachters web page
<http://songbird.com/py>.

>I still want to believe in the Potter, but my confidence is shaken.

My suggestion is to get the hull fixed. She will look beautiful again. Then
"get back on the horse that threw you." One good day's sailing and you will
be in love again.

Regards,

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee