Re: Sorry Bernie!

Bernard Johnson (slithytove@earthlink.net)
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:09:26 -0700

Mac, I have read October Potter. As I remember, Stanley Smith made quite a
point about him carrying extra floatation, and there was something about him
abandoning the boat in breakers because he felt the boat would not survive.
Interestingly enough the boat did survive and maybe he might have been better
off staying with it. Came close to drowning didn't he?
He doesn't advocate ocean cruising in small boats (and reading between the
lines, I think he thought himself a damned fool for sailing the North sea
himself). I do not buy into "The Gospel according to Stanley Smith". I think
he was/is a neat guy, and I am sure he knew/knows more than I'll ever know
about sailing but please don't let us beatify him!

Bernie.