Re: almost new P15 capsize story

james nolan (nolan_laboratories@email.msn.com)
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 07:09:19 -0600

If the P-15 is swamped it will not float as shown in the brochure. However
if you pull out the bilge drain plug (if you have one) it should slowly
drain until it floats at the level indicated in the brochure. There will
still be water in the bilge, but alot less. You can try this experimentally
with a cheap styrofoam cooler. Put ballast in the bottom for stability and
fill it with water. Place it in water, such as the bath tub. Note the
waterline level. Punch a hole in the bottom so it is in fluid communication
with the bath water. Watch it rise to a new waterline level. Since the
fibreglass and styrofoam of the boat are less dense than water you should
also observe the same effect with the P-15.
Jim Nolan
-----Original Message-----
From: Lars S. Mulford <mulford@bellatlantic.net>
To: wwpotter@tscnet.com <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 23, 1999 5:29 AM
Subject: almost new P15 capsize story

>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>Web Gang:
>
>This is forwarded from the ECPA listserv. The writer brings to light some
very interesting observations regarding how his P15 acted AFTER capsize.

>* (In an unrelated note, I found it sad that we lost a reader/lurker
because of the recent flurry of wholly unnecessary personal attacks.. The
Potter listserv has always been one where disagreements could take place but
in non-judgemental ways.. I would say to that lurker, if you are still out
there, to ignore the attacks but to remember the responses to them from
other list participants who were not involved in the debate but rose up
against the personal nature of some of the attacks. Please consider coming
back and participating. I'm interested in what you may have to say,
>especially about Seawards.) *
>
>jakemac@concentric.net wrote:
>
>> I bought my Potter 15 about a month ago largely based on what I read on
the web. Been having great fun: Lake Hartwell, Charleston Harbor, sailed
almost every weekend.

>> Well, the inevitable happened and I capsized the sucker!
>>
>> >From this I learned many valuable lessons, probably the most important
of which was: sail the boat, first and foremost: don't get distracted!

>> However, I learned of a disturbing Potter characteristic. Once I got the
boat right side up (with a little help), I realized that there was no way to
bail it out without moving it to shallow water (which was accomplished with
the help of one of our motorized brethren; humility was another important
lesson!). The problem is the styrofoam blocks located under the cockpit keep
the boat from sinking, but also hold it bow down in the water. The
centerboard slot was submerged as much as a foot under water, so no matter
how fast one bailed, the water could just flow in for no net gain.

>> Questions:
>>
>> Has anyone else had this experience?
>>
>> Is there a good way to add enough boyancy (spray in foam, perhaps, under
the cabin liner?) to the bow such that the centerboard slot is above water
level when the boat is swamped?

>> I have visions of one day taking this baby for a little ocean cruise but
I have to be confident that I could recover from this sort of calamity
without assistance or a handy beach.

>> One more thing about capsizing with a retractable centerboard: The
centerboard retracts! This make righting the beast darn near impossible for
a solo sailor. I suppose a centerboard locking feature wouldn't be too
difficult to design and make.