Re: Movin' up???

Rich Gort (rich@gorts.com)
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:20:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, happy life skills foundation wrote:

> Hello Webgang!
>
> I am seriously contemplating selling my 1988 p-15 (after around 50 days
> and over 20 glorious sails) and buying a p-19. What do you think? I love
> the 15 but it does have some limits: limited space for passengers, head,
> cooking, sleeping. there are benefits though: easy launch, rig,
> docking/undocking, easy gunkholing....

You seem to have a good feel for the major differences; in my opinion the
biggest drawbacks to the P19 are 1) more weight to tow, but still not so
much that you can't do it with a "normal" car. 2) Takes a little longer
and a little more muscle to rig and 3) that damn keel raising system!

> I am sailing on an inland lake right now but we are contemplating a move
> either to Everett Washington (on Puget Sound) or San Francisco.

Interesting choice of locations. I wonder what is driving the decision to
move to either...wonder where you are located now. I live a few miles
east of Everett, WA near a town called Lake Stevens. I have sailed my P19
out of Everett often, there is a very nice protected boat launch there
near the mouth of the Snohomish River. Puget Sound is a nice place to
sail, although the winds are normally not as heavy as other locations.
The area right around Everett can get a little boreing after awhile, but
you can easily trail a potter to other spots nearer to the San Juan
Islands for much more interesting sailing. It's nice to be able to spend
a few days in the islands, so a P19 is probably the better choice there
(also a lot of large wakes from those BIG stinkpots up there).

> I can't lose since I love my 15 but it'd be nice to hear from the gang
> about the plusses/ minuses of the 19.

> Also, what to look out for in purchasing a p-19. Are there 'bad' years?
> certain ideosyncratic problems to check for?

Others can (and probably will) give you more info on that. There has been
lots of talk about it on this list, but I never saved any of it. I
believe there is at least a partial archive of this list, so you might ask
about it and check it for years. I believe there were a few years when
the Potter changed hands that people found had more faults and problems.
Mine is a very old one..#202 built in October of 1983 and I don't have too
many complaints.

> And how about price? for a 1984 p 19? what seems good? this one the owner
> is asking $4700.

I paid $3500 for mine back in 1992, and have since replaced the trailer
for about $1200. The Dilly trailers they used back in the 80's weren't
much...my new one is a honey.

> I am grateful for an and all advice about making this move. And really I
> am so excited I don't think I'll sleep until it's resolved!
>
> Thanks gang!
>
> Ken Silverman, p-15 "Vegan Lorax", p-19 (Maybe)

Hope this helps...let me know if you have any specific questions about my
P19 or the Everett area.

Rich Gort
WWP19 #202 SAYOKO
Lake Stevens, WA
Sailing Northern Puget Sound and North Cascades Mountain Lakes