Re: Butane? (Cooking on the '19)

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:48:49 EDT

In a message dated 7/6/99 8:15:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Scott
(sfoshee@YAHOO.COM) writes:

> Is butane heavier or lighter than air? I want to be
> sure it won't collect in the bilge when we cook.

I've seen this question a zillion times on line, and seen it answered both
ways. However, the answer from firefighters, chemists, etc, is that it is
heavier than air, just like propane.

If my memory serves me correctly, however, I believe the USCG allows the use
of small containers (I think 8 oz or less, like we use on our portable
stoves) on boats without specially designed, properly ventilated storage
lockers. They recommend removing the small tank from the gas applicance when
it's not being used to prevent leakage.

Tanks larger than that require ventilated storage that meet safety
specifications.

Other safety considerations I've gleaned from my readings and websearches :
(1) the stove should located so that the cook isn't blocked by flames from
exiting the cabin in the event of a fire
(2) a properly rated fire extinguisher should be located so that the cook can
reach it both before and after exiting the cabin.
(3) The usual cautions about a stove under curtains or other flammable
materials also apply (and consider the heeling of the boat or the when
thinking about over and under).
(4) The stove should be securely attached when in use.

Regards,
Judy B