Re: keel degaussing

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 12:38:19 EDT

In a message dated 7/16/99 4:54:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
nolan_laboratories@email.msn.com writes:

> I've tested how my keel affects the compass but I dont know how to test if
> the keel has become magnetized. Are there any services that can degauss the
> keel or can I do it with a standard degaussing coil? Should I degauss the
> keel separately or degauss the whole boat-trailer combo together?
>
> Jim Nolan

Hi Jim,

The Navy (and perhaps the Marines) is the only "service" I know of that
periodically degausses their ships. I'll bet they would be willing to
degauss your P19 for you if you say "pretty please" or if you have a retired
admiral in your family.

The Navy has special coils that they set up in the water and then they sail
the boat between them.

Degaussing both the boat and the trailer together is the "shippy" way to do
it, but the Navy has made no provisions for degausing trailers since they
rarely load their battleships on trailers. Maybe your local
radio/microwave/radar station can help you there.

Best,
Judy B.