Re: X-Ray Door Score!

Mark (apresvous@pobox.com)
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 20:42:02 -0700

I used to do a lot of mass calculations for a number of dense
materials. The figure that sticks in my mind is 0.45 pounds per cubic
inch for lead. I will try to get you a better (read more reliable than
a 20-year old memory) figure this weekend when I'm home (assuming that I
can find my Machinery's Handbook). Based on that, you would have 12
inches x 12 inches x 0.1875 for 27 cubic inches of lead per square foot
of 3/16 stock, for a weight of about 12 pounds per square foot. No
wonder you were huffing and puffing! That door weighed close to 300
pounds!

By the way, if you cut metal out of the centerboard, you have to
subtract its mass from that of the lead which replaces it. If I
remember correctly, steel runs 0.29 pounds per cubic inch, so you'd only
gain 0.16 pounds per cubic inch. Assuming that your centerboard is
quarter-inch plate, you would have to replace about 25 square inches to
gain a pound.

Good Luck,
Mark
P-14 #202 "Apres Vous"