Re: [ecpa] Tongue Weight

Frank Castronovo (facastro@cc.ysu.edu)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:05:02 -0400

Lars,
Some of the trailer sailors in this area have extended the tongues of their
trailers by a couple of feet. They claim it helps them in maneuvering the
boat, and in getting some of the deeper hulls further down the ramp. Any
trailer manufacturer or even a welding shop could do this for you, and the
side benefit of a longer lever would be less hitch weight, without moving
the boat dangerously back on its bunks.
Frank

At 04:55 PM 8/18/1999 -0400, Lars S. Mulford wrote:
>From: "Lars S. Mulford" <mulford@bellatlantic.net>
>
>East Coasties & Web Gang:
>
>As "Always" sits on the trailer right now, completely empty, the trailer
>has somewhere between 142-151 lbs tongue weight. I just completed
>checking it with no less than 6 scales, with all of them registering in
>the 142-145lb range except for one which registered 151 lbs. I had
>forgotten how much of a bear it is to move it around. To those who have
>done this, how much distance (in inches) did you move the winch mast
>back, thereby moving the boat back as well? From the looks of it, I
>fear that 3-4" will not produce a significant change in tongue weight;
>more like 6" or possibly even more. This seems like a lot to me.
>Thoughts anyone? One thing is for sure though - tongue weight in excess
>of 140lbs for a P15 is just way too much.
>
>--
>"Sea" ya!
>
>--Lars S. Mulford, President
> East Coast Potter Association (ECPA)
> Come visit us at http://members.tripod.com/~SpeedSailor
> s/v Always P15 #2125, lateen rig, sailing greater Chesapeake region
> "Forgive, and live. Life is worth the challenge of living." --LSSM
> "Love is good; Love hurts; Love sustains; Love remains." --LSSM

>Show your ONElist SPIRIT!
>http://www.onelist.com/store/tshirts.html
>With a new ONElist SHIRT available through our website.

Frank A. Castronovo, Ph.D.
home: (330)758-0275
office: (330)742-3631
fax: (330)726-4712