Re: P19 Anchor roller mount and chainpipe mods?

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:33:50 EDT

Hey George,

Great minds think alike -- only your mind comes up with less expensive solutions than mine!

For the chain pipe, I did something similar. I decided to use the existing deckplate for the cowl/solar fan for the chainpipe while I was sailing and then pop the fan in for when the boat isn't in use.

I did it a little fancier than you: I cut a piece of 7/8" teak ($5) a little bigger around than the oval-shaped chrome-over-brass chainpipe ($29 from West Marine). Sanded and rounded the edges similar to a teak winchpad.

Then I epoxied/glassed the teak pad on top of a spare cap ($5 or $10, I'm not sure because it was a spare I had hanging around) that you'd use to close off the cowl/solar fan deckplate. Then I mounted the chainpipe on the teak. Then I drilled a 2.25" hole through the teak and plastic cap.

What I ended up with (but I'm not quite finished, to tell the truth) is this: for $40, it looks really attractive. It's a chrome chainpipe with a cover with a hook to hold the chain, sitting on a varnished teak pad. When it's inserted in the deckplate, it looks cool and works just fine. At the end of the day, when I remove the anchor for trailering, I'll pop out the chainpipe and pop in the fan to dry out the rode/chainlocker. And there's less clutter on the foredeck...

I'm making a second one for the starboard corner of the transom, so I can keep a rode below in the quarter berth there for my stern anchor. At the end of the day, I'll pop it off and insert a cowl or a second solar fan to dry out the rode.

Best,
Judy B
1985 WWP19 #266 Redwing
Sailing SF Bay