Re: Leaking P19 keel trunks -- a diagnostic approach.

GSTahoe@aol.com
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 10:48:49 EDT

In a message dated 8/29/99 1:30:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time, uffda@sonic.net
writes:

> Judy & all
>
> Your idea about stopping the water from working it's way up the trunk is on
> the right track.
>
> I stopped 99% of HC's leak with the new gasket, bungee hold-downs (instead
> of clamps), and a small piece of sponge jammed into the gap between the
keel
> and trunk (leading edge).
>
> My next step was going to be to try to find a thin plastic that I could
> install on the bottom of the hull (covering the keel slot) with just enough
> of an opening so the keel could fit through. That is what my Capri 14.2
> had, and it seemed to work fine.
>
> I feel the group is working in the right direction on this problem.
>
> Larry

Has anyone tried to understand why this keel trunk leaking problem confined
to the !-19's? The P-15 also has a very loose keel situated in, what I
believe, is a similar trunk, and yet you don't hear of this problem with the
P-15's. I have never had a drop of water come through the trunk of my P-15.
Not a drop. The P-15 does have a habit when beached on a gravel beach with
chop bouncing the hull on the beach, to get gravel jammed in the keel trunk
making dropping the keel difficult until you can work out the stones jamming
the keel. I don't know if that happens to the daggerboard of the P-19. I
kind of doubt it.

What is different between the design of the 15 and the 19 trunks that allows
this inconvenience in the 19's?

Geoff
P-15 Lollipop
N. Lake Tahoe, NV