Re: sail slugs? {:^)

happy life skills foundation (hapilife@efn.org)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 12:40:31 -0700 (PDT)

I guess I don't understand about the sail slugs. I know what they are.
Maybe I don't understand what is wrong with the bolt rope set up, mine
works fine for me! it never jams on the way up if you hoist head to wind
and to douse it does fine also as long as there's no pressure on the sail
(head to wind or luff). When I'm ready to douse I stand one foot on either
side of the cb in the companionway with a couple of sail ties in my
pocket. when it comes down I tie it with at least one sail tie then get
back to the tiller. Works well.
maybe it's different on the 19 I don't know, i guess it's a bigger sail,
still doesn't seem like a much bigger sail.

The other thing for me is that I don't leave my boom up after sailing, I
stow it all in the cabin, easier on the sails,not much more work to clean
up. just take the sail corners loose, yank the boom, take off the
gooseneck so the boom will fit in the cabin, stow it all below out of the
weather. also less exposed to potential vandalism at the slip.

The only real improvement I'd like to make is to install a tiller
extension. Has anyone done this? It'd be nice to be able to hang onto the
tiller when stepping forward to douse the sails.

Ken Silverman, p-15 "VEgan Lorax", 20 days from Lake Washington!