RE: P15 Motor choices ...Mariner 3.5 ?

Stallings Mike (Stallings_Mike@prc.com)
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 11:23:43 -0400

Hi,

Sorry to come in on the tail end of this discussion, after these
observations and questions have probably recently been discussed, but I just
recently joined this list.

My observations:

Last week I purchased an '85 Potter 15 with a 2 HP Honda 4 stroke. In
defense of the 2 HP 4 stroke, I like it because it is very small and light
(don't under estimate this factor, but then again I'm comparing it to a 9.9
HP!), doesn't require mixing oil and gas, and does not require a connection
to an external fuel tank. Also, it is quiet enough to allow for
conversation without yelling. The lack of reverse and neutral is indeed a
little tricky, but not too bad. (I miss neutral the most. Not having
neutral forces more use of reverse.) If you are ever uncomfortable, you can
always just cut the motor and drift/paddle the final few yards. My only
(small) complaint is that the handle is not quite long enough.

My questions:

1. Is a bigger motor, say a 5 HP, significantly faster than a 2 HP? Or
does it just have more power under heavier loads?

2. Where is the best/safest place to store extra gas?

3. Has anyone had experience using absurdly large motors on the P15,
say a 9.9 HP hanging directly off the stern? This would never be used for
sailing, only for the occasional "speed boat" ride, and to avoid having to
buy another boat just for such purposes.

4. How does the P15 handle when planing all out under power? I imagine
it could be a little dangerous.

Mike Stallings
'85 P15, Norfolk VA

I had the Nissan 3.5, very reliable, but did not like
twirling the motor 180° to reverse. Made docking dodgy. Have the Nissan
5hp 4 stroke now and am quite pleased. Got it for $999 from Cabelos. Took
4 days to get it.

Richard,
Lubbock TX