Re: First Sail!

hlg@pacbell.net
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 19:16:56 -0700

Mike Stallings wrote:

<snip>
> So, overall, I am very well pleased. But I'm better at complaints,
>so here they are:
>
>1. The main block on the seat next to the cabin must go. The
>cockpit was entirely too busy. Adding boom end sheeting is my
>first priority.

Another option is a boom-mounted block and cleat. The kind offered as an
option in the 1970s (see old brochures on Potter Yachters web site) is
substantial and works well, but I don't know if you can find that type
anymore. On my lateen rig boom I substituted a Ronstan RF5 "Pivoting Base
Block with C-Cleat " shown on page 824 of the West Marine 1999 Master
Catalog. It is lighter and simpler and has one less degree of motion than
the old type so will not recleat (or uncleat, depending on how you install
it) with the boom all the way out on a run, but it operates easily on a
beat or reach.

Those with "headknocker" cleats and those with traveler mounted cleats both
seem happy with the arrangement they have and find it to be an improvement
over the cockpit mounted swivel cleat. The addition of a boom vang is
generally recommended in either case.

>2. While pointing in higher winds, the main was difficult to sheet
>in. I need to add another block or something for more purchase.

It's easy to increase the purchase of the standard Potter mainsheet.
Normally the line is terminated near the end of the boom, goes down to a
block on the traveler, back up to a block on the boom and forward along the
boom to a block over the cockpit. That gives a 2-1/2 purchase. To increase
to 3-1/2, you can add a block on the boom at the position where the sheet
is now terminated and route it back down to a becket on the traveler block.
That requires a new block for the boom and a block with becket at the
traveler. It will also require more line (another 10 ft or so) to allow the
boom to swing all the way out.

I thought I needed that extra purchase at one time (I didn't yet have
reefing capability) and changed my hardware as I described, but I find the
2-1/2 purchase works okay if I can reef when the wind comes up, so I went
back to the shorter sheet and just terminate the sheet at the boom by
tieing it to the aft block instead of routing it back down to the stern.

If your sheet load was excessive when pointing, it's probable that you were
overpowered and heeling more than the recommended10 degrees. You probably
had a lot of weather helm also. If you reef under those conditions you
shouldn't have the problem, and the boat will probably go faster. I found
my P14 likes to be reefed when the wind reaches the 15-20 kn range.

It's always a tradeoff when you increase purchase. In exchange for the
reduced effort you get slower response (increased sheet travel) and more
rope to keep out of the way and unsnarled. Even when the wind is up I can
usually keep the sheet cleated at the "headknocker" cleat on the boom so my
hand and arm don't get tired, but I keep the sheet in my hand so I can give
it a quick pull to uncleat it when a puff hits. One other advantage of the
boom mounted cleat is you can face forward to watch where you're going.

>3. There were only two of us, yet I felt we had a full load.
>Tomorrow I'll be taking 3 or 4 people out and we'll see how it
>goes. We kept the cabin buttoned up today, so perhaps opening
>that will make for more room. Also I'll send somebody to the
>bow.

Personally, I don't like more than two people in the cockpit when the wind
is strong. Opening the cabin isn't the solution because the hatch should be
closed when the wind is up, and I don't want to have to worry about people
escaping from a closed cabin if I should screw up and capsize. Three or
four people are okay in light air, but I limit to two for lively sailing.
Several of the capsize stories I've read have involved boats with 3 or 4
people in the cockpit. It's too hard to keep all that weight in the right
place. You can't sit them all on the windward side of the cockpit without

You can put one person on the bow when you have two in the cockpit. Most
people find it fun to ride there, and the boat will go faster with the
weight forward. That works well with just two on board also. Everyone wears
a PFD, of course.

>4. I like to sit aft, but the boat sails best with weight forward.
>Some counter weight up forward, and not taking the stupid motor
>(a separate email about the motor coming...) along may help.

Yes, you need to sit forward in a Potter because it was designed to carry
heavy loads forward in the cabin. A tiller extension might help. I get by
without one because I have long arms, but it is still a stretch. If you
must sit aft you could add ballast forward in the cabin. With my lateen
mast, which is a foot further forward, and two batteries alongside the
front of the centerboard trunk, I find I no longer need to squeeze up
against the cabin to balance the boat. I find it comfortable to sit just
forward of the tiller, maybe 6 inches or a foot back from the cabin.

Harry
P14 #234, Manatee
Gunter or Lateen Rig
Mountain View, CA