[Fwd: Ballast installation]

Bernard Johnson (slithytove@earthlink.net)
Mon, 06 Sep 1999 14:44:42 -0700

--------------D1B207FDEEB8C8A1A9D9E457

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:34:08 -0700
From: Bernard Johnson <slithytove@earthlink.net>
To: Mike Canova <mcanova@prodigy.net>
Subject: Ballast insrallation

To Mike, and other people like myself ,(those beginning sailors who haven't
the sense to ease the mainsheet when needed), who need the safety blanket of
extra ballast while learning to sail.....here are the details of my ballast
installation. I opted for ballast that could be installed incrementally if
needed, that was reasonably dense, that would be easy to remove (if I ever
learn how to sail), was cheap, and which would fit in (for me) the completely
useless volume immediately adjacent to the keel trunk. (My boat is a P15). To
be able to place the ballast distibuted equally on both sides of the trunk it
was necessary to cut an access hole in the floor of the liner on the starboard
side. (Damn, I almost said "on the right hand side when you are facing the
pointy end" but I am studying diligently to be a sailor so eventually I won't
need ballast).
An aside here....some of you may be wondering why you are not considered to be
"real" sailors if you are considering installing ballast. Well, I have it on
good authority that ballast is not needed if you know how to sail, I quote
here our Potter friend Geoff (who having been a ski instructor is a sailor to
learn from......)

"The individuals that are so concerned about the stability of the P-15 would
be a lot better off just learning how to sail the boat properly and using
common sense while aboard to keep from pulling the boat over. I mean, you
have to really try to tip a Potter!

I have been a ski instructor for about 30 years. I cannot tell you how many
times a student, when having difficulty, be it on hard, icy snow or deep
powder, will exclaim, "These damn skis!" Hate ta tell ya' bunky, it ain't
the skis."

When you think about it, those guys who sail Flickas, must be really lousy
sailors. imagine, a 20 ft. boat with a displacement of 5,500#, 1,800# of it
ballast! Hey, and I feel bad!

Anyway, to get back to my ballast installation. I settled on using common red
brick. They weigh 5# each, cost about 25 cents, and 14 bricks, lying side by
side, just nicely fit between the forward plywood bulkhead (under the liner)
and where the liner forms a footwell aft. (More sailor talk there!). And
here's a doozy....the bricks have to be put in ATWARTSHIPS if 14 are put in.
Another 4 bricks. lying fore and aft can sit on top of the 14. and just nicely
snuggle up to the keel trunk. Showing a rare display of common sense I fixed
the bricks in place (even I realized that should I be more stupid than usual
and really, really try to tip my Potter and succeed), then it wouldn't be too
pleasant to have bricks bouncing around. Applying a small amount of closed
cell foam (the kind that comes in can) to each brick, satisfactorily "welded"
them together, and to the hull. The hardest part of the installation was
cutting the access hole. I used a saber saw for this.

Regards to all, Bernie Johnson.

And it ain't the boat.