Re: P15 vang placement

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 01:16:19 EDT

Hi Pat, Mike et al,

There's a general rule of thumb for locating the vang. The ideal placement forms at least a 45 degree angle between the vang and the boom. Same thing for the angle between the mast and the vang.

The reason for this is that you want a vang to pull downward. Any angle narrower than 45 compresses the boom more than it pulls it downward.

Sometimes, it's impractical to place the attachment points so that you have a 45 degree angle. In that case, an angle of no less than 30 is a good compromise.

45 or more degrees at the boom end of the vang is good, less than 30 degrees is hardly worth it...

Regards,
Judy B