Re: When is a reply not a reply?

Al Reust (alreust@tscnet.com)
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 13:00:00 -0700

Hi Tim

and Potter Group. Part of the reason the list is configured the way its, is
that at a point in time (several years ago) it became a target of SPAM.
Every control that could be tightened down was screwed down to the point
that hopefully only list items got through (thus there is less SPAM). After
Allen and I worked for several weeks switching the real distribution list
in and out tested the options that were available. This was how we then
figured it was to be best operated.

In 1999 the list has delivered over 2.7 million messages and about 75,000
daily digests to individuals.

As this is an older listserv that works well, and its Not Broke! Should we
fix it?

At 07:01 AM 9/12/99 -0700, Tim Spofford wrote:
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - West Wight
>Potter Website at URL

<sniped>

>Yes, that works too, viz. this message (although I've got "Potter (local)"
>and "Potter (national)", and obviously your approach, which I hadn't
>thought of, is easier but it's still counter-intuitive and non-standard to
>configure a list serve so replies go to the individual and not to the
>list. I think that's WHY I hadn't thought of your approach: after
>thirteen years of simply hitting alt-R for a standard reply (to the list),

The newer Eudora Pro version is "ctl-R" to reply to all

>re-training the fingers doesn't come easy, or quickly, especially when
>it's only one list, whereas all the others adhere to the traditional way
>of doing things. If the list-holder's preference were that replies be
>private it might make sense, but Dennis has just re-affirmed that he
>prefers the opposite. Usually, I catch it - or I go back and send a later
>copy to the list - but sometimes I'm simply not going to be bothered.
>

>Tim Spofford Kirkland, Washington
>tims@spof.org http://spof.org

Al Reust
TSCNet

Something I Virtually dream of a Complete Web Site <G>rin.. Have Fun
Mail to: alreust@tscnet.com Voice (360)613-0708 Fax (360)308-0185