P19 Outhaul -- Was Re: P-19 Sail Flutter in winds over 10 mph?

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:19:08 EDT

In a message dated 9/16/99 8:49:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time, etj@nwlink.com
writes:

> > For you heavy weather sailors - are you using the stock outhaul and
> > downhaul? I find these controls very difficult to trim in even a modest
> > breeze.
>
> Agreed. I'm been playing with using tiny blocks to make these into
> multi-part purchases.

Hi Eric,

I have a 4:1 purchase on my outhaul, and I can reach up from the a sitting
position and adjust it in 20 knots with just my finger tips.

I put it inside the boom I built. There's an exit sheeve at the aft end and
two cascaded blocks inside the boom (cascaded blocks can't twist like a
double block assembly can and they're cheaper). The outhaul exits the boom
about a foot behind the vang, thru a combination exit sheeve / jam cleat made
of aluminum for durability. The direction of pull is aft.

I tied a piece of light shock cord going from the outhaul to the aft end of
the mast which keeps the outhaul up against the boom so it doesn't dangle in
the cockpit. It also automatically pulls the outhaul into the "v" of the
cleat, so if you simply let go of the outhaul, it automatically jams itself
into the cleat. To ease the outhaul, you have to pull the line down
vertically and release the tension in that position.

It really can be done with two fingers, underway, seated, on any point of
sail.

Best,
Judy B