Re: P-15 towing requirements?

Rich Gort (rich@gorts.com)
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:32:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Thos. Westerman wrote:

> >I have a 1993 Ford Aerostar. And, I just happen to have agreed to purchase
> >a 1977 P-15. What would a trailer, boat, and 2hp Honda (and assorted gear
> >and rigging) weigh? I need to figure out which hitch to buy.
> >Recommendations? Advice?
>
> Wally,
> I HIGHLY recommend you go for a larger hitch. One with a 2" receiver.
> Why, sure you may not need it to pull the p15/trailer, but with a little
> extra investment in your hitch, you can use a "hitch haul" (a metal grate
> platform that goes into your receiver) for extra utility, or to haul your
> greasy leaking motor *outside" your carpeted car when taking it to the
> repair shop, or for hauling your spring manure bags home to your garden.
> They even make one with a ball on the tail side of the hitch haul so you
> get the storage *and* can tow your trailer. A receiver makes it easy also
> to use the hitch for those special bike racks that insert into the hitch.
> If you have a family and the family bikes, its a good way to go for hauling
> your bikes..., Versatility in the hitch you get is a good thing.

Agree totally. Even if you don't think you would ever want one of the
VERY handy devices that make use of a 2" receiver, go for one anyway.
They are just not much more expensive, and you can easily adjust the
height of the ball by the slug (the thing that fits into the receiver and
mounts the ball) that you use. They are available to go from about 8"
below the level of the receiver to about 8" above. This allows you to
level the trailer for better towing. It also facilitates towing any other
trailer you might want to tow. I don't have a "hitch haul", but I do have
a bike rack that uses the receiver. The smaller receiver (I believe it is
1") is not nearly as versatile as the 2", but your dealer may try to sell
it to you especially if your towing capacity is 3500 lbs or less. Get the
2" for just a few bucks more.

> The other thought is with your aerostar you can haul that Uhaul trailer to
> move your brother in law on saturday, or a large trailer to bring home that
> big new freezer refridgerator your wife wanted, etc.... without worring if
> your bumper mounted cheesy hitch will come off. I think it makes sense to
> get a 2" receiver hitch for a little extra money.

Rich Gort
WWP19 #202 SAYOKO
Lake Stevens, WA
Sailing Northern Puget Sound and North Cascades Mountain Lakes