Re: Sail Trim Primer [Was: P19 Outhaul -- Was Re: P-19 Sail Flutter

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 01:53:17 EDT

In a message dated 9/16/99 10:17:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
gpotter@calinet.com writes:

> Hi Judy:
>
> Would you mind listing some of the sailing books you use to learn about
sail
> trim and so forth?
>
> Thanks
> gretchen

Hi Gretchen,

One of my favorites is _the Annapolis Book of Seamanship_ by John
Rousmaniere. I consider it required reading for every sailor. It's geared
towards the sailor much more than Chapmans, with much more dicsussion of
sailing technique. Chapman's is good, but Rousmanieres is written so that
it's much easier to apply. It has much more stuff on boat handling -
trimming for different wind, how to dock when the wind is coming from any
angle, anchoring in different bottom terrains, etc. Also chapters on wind,
piloting, weather, etc. It's the equivalent of hundreds of hours in sailing
school.

It'll keep you learning for years. I still am.

Best,
Judy B