Re: Autopilot on P19?

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:34:05 EDT

In a message dated 9/18/99 1:39:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ttursine@gnt.net
writes:

> Installation is straightforward, but I may be able to save a bit of
> planning, measuring, and catalog-perusing if any of you want to
> install an Autohelm on a P19. Let me know.

Hi bill,

Redwing will be getting an Autohelm TillerPilot ST1000+ this week along with
all new wiring, lights, circuit panels, etc.. Wiring is the only thing I
don't know how to do to professional standards on my boat, so I hired someone
to do it. As I writing this, the work is already started. I found a real
gem of a guy to do the work --someone who is as compulsively "shippy" about
thework he does as I am!

One unusual thing I'm doing is setting it up for dual (starboard and port)
mounting, so I can put it on the opposite side of where we want to sit on a
long tack. I've also been told by some of my cruising friends that there are
times when it works better pushing rather than pulling the tiller.

As of now, I'm planning on installing a WindPilot Tiller Lock
(http://fox.nstn.ca/~windjamm/chandler.html#windpilot) as a manual backup
system.

Any installation measurements or advice you can give (preferably along with
an explanation or why you recommend doing it that particular way) would
GREATLY be appreciated! I'll be linking it in to the GPS too. As of now,
the plan is to install the push-arm (or whatever it's called) on the top of
the coaming and on top of the tiller. It seems best to moung it above the
tiller, so that there is no interference with reaching the mainsheet in a
hurry.

I'm really looking forward to having Redwing set up so I can singlehand
without as much worry and hassle. It will be perfect for raising and
lowering the sails or putting in a reef. The tillerpilot even has an
auto-tacking feature that swings her 90-100 degrees so you initiate a tack by
pressing one button and go tend the jibsheets without worrying about fumbling
with the tiller.

Your point about the possibility of "getting a sea level view of your boat
sailing away with only the dog on board" is well taken. I think a tether is
in order any time you're single handing.

I'm looking forward to your input on the best place to install the
TillerPilot. Otherwise I'll probably spend three days just thinking the
whole project through in my mind's eye before i get enough courage up to
drill those holes in the coaming!

Best,
Judy