RE: Enough wind to make me pay attention

Sayer, Chris (ChrisSayer@StratfordGroup.com)
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:03:57 -0400

Glad to hear that someone else's impressions match my own. My P15 seems to
heel very rapidly to about 25-30 degrees (a guess). This was very
disconcerting at first, as I had heard a great deal about the Potter's
stability. However, I have been pleased to discover (by trial and
error..mostly error) that she gets very stiff as the leeward chine digs in.
I know feel much more comfortable letting her heel over. If only my
crew/family felt the same.....

Chris Sayer
P15, #2380, Akala

-----Original Message-----
From: Stallings Mike [mailto:Stallings_Mike@prc.com]
Sent: Monday, September 20, 1999 11:49 AM
To: wwpotter@tscnet.com
Cc: 'ecpa@onelist.com'
Subject: RE: Enough wind to make me pay attention

Sailors,

I've been seeing a number "can't trim the sails properly" remarks lately
(but not necessarily this particular email I'm responding to now). This is
going to be controversial, but, speaking for the P15, I believe this boat is
relatively difficult to learn to sail _well_, and perhaps the P19 is the
same way. Being new to the boat myself, and having observed people I have
been teaching to sail, I believe the primary reason for this is that, in the
beginning, the boat gives the illusion of being unstable, which causes
newbies to fear sheeting in enough, and causes them to round up too often.
I noticed this in myself, and I've been sailing small boats a long time, and
I sail in a "very safe" area. I also felt at first that the standard jib
was particularly finicky.

Having said that, now that I've gotten used to it, I think the boat sails
beautifully and is very stable, and a great boat for pressing hard in strong
winds. I would recommend that newbies sail under main alone so you can
sheet in hard without fear. I also recommend intentionally heeling the boat
in a "safe" area to gain confidence. Also important, learn to sail when
there is nobody aboard that you are worried about. If friends or family is
aboard, that will compound your worries greatly, and they will frequently
jump around and overcompensate at the first sign of heeling, and they will
sense and amplify your own fear.

Finally, I wonder if the side rails don't just make things worse because
they cage you in. I do not have them, and when I'm pressing hard, I am
happy to know I can always just pop up to the side and hike out, or simply
lean back to keep from sliding out of the boat.

I make no claims to being an expert Potterer, these are just my impressions
as a complete newbie. Every time I go out, my impressions change (but
always for the better).

Mike Stallings
556-2298 (W)
'85 P15 #1589, Norfolk VA