Re: Slimey Bottom (Boat) - Try Autrora Marine products

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 22:24:19 EDT

> In a message dated 9/18/99 6:04:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ryeg@vais.net
> writes:
>
> The Grace has been in the water all summer and has a hull full of algae.
> When I pulled the boat for Floyd, the bottom was all full of of the
> stuff. Does anybody have any ideas about how to easily remove it? I
> am fortunate that the Potomac is fresh water up here near DC and I don't
> seem to have any barnacles -- just green slime.
>
> I tried elbow grease and Simple Green and it seems to take the stuff off
> -- but not without a bit of an effort.
>
> I bought some of the hull stain remover that Ted Duke recommended (On
> and Off) and it sure cleans up the residual stains after the algae is
> removed. Nasty stuff -- with some chemical fumes that even a
> non-chemist like myself know should be avoided.

After powerwashing off the algae, you can try Aurora Marine's "Boat Scrub".
It is amazing stuff!! I used it to get all the stains and yellowing off my
15 year old P19, and it looks as white as new! It's non-abrasive and removed
every stain! It's not nasty smelling, and won't hurt the Stainless steel
like Oxalic acid (is that's what in On 'n Off?)

Info on Aurora Marine's products is at www.auroramarine.com. You can call
them to find the dealer of their products nearest you

The first time I used Aurora's products, it took me about 4-6 hours to
restore the deck to like-new looks. Since then, I have used boat scrub to
clean up (wine stains, black smudges, etc.), followed by a dab of "Shur-Step"
wax.

The recommended way to do it is

1. Boat Wash - removes old wax and grease
2. Boat Scrub - removes oxidation, stains, restores original color.
3. Shur Step Wax (non-slippery wax for decks) or their other wax products
(I'm planning on putting their "High Performance Bottom Wax" on -- they claim
sea critters can't stick to it!)

The stuff ain't cheap. It cost me about $80 for the four products I listed
above. But the Boat Scrub got my yellowed old boat beautifully white, and
the non-skid "Shur Step" works as advertised. We'll see if the HyPerformance
Bottom Wax actually keeps critters and algae from growing on the bottom when
I put it in a slip for a few weeks later this month.

I don't have any financial interest in the company, but merely loved the
results I got with their products.

Best,
Judy B

Judith Blumhorst, DC
P19 Fleet Cap'n, Potters Yachters
1985 WWP19 #266 Redwing, Force 5 #7951 and #1333,
And a pile of windsurfing gear.
Sailing on SF Bay, CA
(5-35 knot winds, 2-4' chop, 2-6' swells, and currents up to 6 knots)
Visit Judy B's West Wight Potter Pages
(http://members.aol.com/jblumhorst/HomePage/index.htm)
and The Official Web Site of the Potters Yachters
(http://songbird.com/potter_yachter/)