Re: Beating a comatose horse?

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:03:08 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/99 10:56:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
patterwc@donet.com writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to find a replacement rub rail for my 1977 P-15. I called
> International Marine. The answer I got back was, they don't make'em like
> they used to, literally. They have changed the design and subsequently use
> a different type of rub rail now. They don't keep records back to 1977 and
> can't tell me where I can find a replacement. The original rub rail was
> just glued over the ~5/8" lip that is the mating seam between the hull and
> the deck. The riveted lip is perpendicular to the mast, horizontal, or
> parallel with the water (whichever makes sense to you). The cross-section
> is kinda like a 1.5 inch, half-oval. It's just a one-piece rail and is not
> attached with screws. It was some sort of rubber, with no aluminum pieces
> or inserts. Can anyone who has an older Potter with the same kind of rub
> rail point me in the right direction?
>
> v/r
>
> Wally Patterson

Wally,

You could check with a large boat yard or West Marine or E&B. They will have
catalogs of rub rails and can order some for you. Lots of older boats (and
some newer ones too) have the same style rubrails. I was at the marina today
and saw a recent model boat with a similar style rubrail.

I'll be at Svenson's Boat Yard today or tomorrow and I'll ask about that for
you. I could use a new one for my old boat too.

Best,
Judy B

Judy B