Fwd: Small craft advisory

CyrusWD@aol.com
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 14:57:37 EDT

--part1_0.8b611e6b.2530ea21_boundary

<< in a message dated 10/8/99 2:57:45 PM, MIKEAAC@aol.com writes:

<< What is Small Craft Advisory? >>

Sharing some feelings. I am aware that it can be just as rough on the web
site as out on the water. I had a reaction to this and see that I still need
to do some letting go. At first I thought this had only been sent to me and
not blind copied. It was not easy to admit that I ended up on the rocks and
to share that with my fellow sailors. Lots of ego and pride involved. It
has helped me over the years to read accounts of disasters regardless of what
the cause was. I have learned from other's mistakes and hoped I would not
make the same ones.

Having a boat that one has had for over 17 years go on the rocks is a painful
experience. I now think I finally understand some of the feelings that
Bernard Moitessier had when his boat was the first of 29 boats to be driven
ashore in the 1983 Cabo Catastrophe. Here was one of the greatest sailors of
this century being caught on a lee shore. And yes, I was in that storm.
Some of us chose to head out and ride out the storm. There was not much
warning and one had to respond fast. Many tried to pull out but anchor lines
from other boats had already fouled their own anchor lines.

I am hearing challenged and I struggle with getting weather reports. I
don't understand what is being said on the weather channel or any
conversation on a VHF. Since most of my sailing is solo, I don't carry a
radio. And yes, I now have brought a hand held VHF so that others if they
are around can listen and tell me what is being said.

I study weather reports before I leave. The San Juan's Islands can be a
challenge because there are many micro climates. What one is experiencing
may not be close to what is being heard on the weather channel. When I
started this trip, there was no mention of high winds or a gale. Many people
got caught off guard in this gale.

I started sailing in Nova Scotia over 40 years ago. From there sailed for
years on the SF bay. Then blue water sailing from SF to Nova Scotia. Lately
it has been extended cruises around the San Juan's.

Each year I know less and less about sailing. I continue to learn and have
greater respect for mother nature.

Cyrus Wind Dancer

[...]

are around can listen and tell me what is being said. This does not stop me
from sailing. I suspect my boat is better equiped with safety equipment that
most boats.

I study weather reports before I leave. The San Juan's Islands can be a
challenge because there are many micro climates. What one is experiencing
may not be close to what is being said on the weather channel. When I
started this trip, there was no mention of high winds or a gale. Many people
got caught off guard in this gale.

I started sailing in Nova Scotia over 40 years ago. From there sailed for
years on the SF bay. Then blue water sailing from SF to Nova Scotia. Lately
it has been extended cruises around the San Juan's. Each year I know less
and less about sailing. I continue to learn and have greater respect for
mother nature.

When I got it that a gale was coming, I made the decision not to risk the
health of my son nor mine. I felt it was too danagous to row out to the boat
and ride out the gale. It was a tough decision. I spent hours that night
looking out over the water towards where my boat was. I could not see it.

Cyrus Wind Dancer