Re: trailering a potter 15 or 19...where does motor go?

Grover Tolliver (charlies-haus@mindspring.com)
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:35:44 -0400

10140915

Bill et al:

The one and gripe I have with IM is their failure to clearly identify,
in company brochures, durung sales communications,or in any other way, the
requirement to remove the motor from the transom for trailing.

I ordered HA`PENNY in April and took delivery at home in July with
many-many phoncons inbetween about add-ons, suitable motor -2/4stroke,
sizes, planned use as overnighter while trailering, my age/physical
condition, etc... Never was there a word about the need to move the motor
from the transom for trailering.

My first inkling of the 'problem' was when the boat arrived with the
motor in the cabin, on the sole. Hefting 85#s of oil coverd HONDA 8(it was
laid on the wrong side, leaked oil, and broke the bond between the
sole/Dboard well) and onto the heavy duty mount was a 'PPB' indeed!!

I Trailed her around home and 100+miles(interstates & country roads) to
my marina; the rig is a dream on the road better than any previous
setup(Albacore, ODay 17, Aquarius 23, all w/motors on the transoms)

It was only after I got on the Potter webs that I began to hear of
the"requirement' to remove the motor. I immediately braced IM on the
problem and their failure to communicate it. IM`s response was to confirm
the requirement and to state that it was to prevent damage to the boat from
weight on the transom. After discussion IM assured me that the three year
wazrranty would cover damage caused by trailering w/motor on transom.
Questions about the need to re-inforce the transom for the HONDA 8 which
they had sold me were resolved by IM sending a 18' x18" x 3/16" +/- aluminum
plate to be installed at my expense; frankly, neither IM nor I was happy
with the solution; I was left with the feeling that the transom was too
light for motors while trailing - period.

I believe IM should be be forthcoming in their adds/brochures, sales
communications, and state up-front that "motors must/should be removed
before trailing" ; anything less is tending toward deliberate
mis-representation. I would not have bought HA`PENNY if I had known of the
requirement. Of course IM could always beef up the transom to handle
trailering.

All my dealings with IM have been amicable; I found them, with this
exception to be fine people to deal with.

The above not withstanding, We love HA`PENNY; rigged and properly
ballasted, she sails well in light winds or 25-30knot conditions w 3-4'
seas. She is an excellent bay/river Minicruiser for 2 adults , especially
if they are under 6'/190#s( four adults can be daysailed in comfort). She
is a bit much for day sailing - I`d rather an ODAY 17. IMO the mininm
needed for a boat that sleeps/cruises 4 is an enclosed head -HA`PENNY ain`t
got it<GR>...so we two sail aloneI Ihave rigged an athwartships bunk for
the skipper as she has a touch of "A" and has trouble slipping into the
V-berth --I get them all to myself<GR>

GL with your new boat and many happy days on the water!!

72 y Paz Grover & Doris HA`PENNY WWP-19 #965
Cole`s Pt., VA.

.