Fwd: TACKING A POTTER - Problems? - Never say ever..

CyrusWD@aol.com
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 20:03:45 EDT

--part1_0.356a525c.25425561_boundary

From: CyrusWD@aol.com
Full-name: CyrusWD
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 20:02:17 EDT
Subject: Re: TACKING A POTTER - Problems? - Never say ever..
To: SolarFry@aol.com

In a message dated 10/22/99 11:18:11 AM, SolarFry@aol.com writes:

<< Searching for a way not to backwind
and maintain fwd motion..
Especially if you sail light wind areas.. >>

Each hull design has pros and cons. In dealing with the Potter 15, the pro
is that it can go on the beach. The con is that it can not slice thru a
wave. In a situation where there are high waves that are close together in a
shallow area, completing a tack can be difficult. There are so many factors,
such as tide, current, shifting winds, etc. Backwind a jib can assist in the
completion of a tack. I was not talking about normal situations. Also I was
only talking about the Potter 15. It would be great if timing was correct
and the tack was started at the top of the wave.

Cyrus #629
Bellingham, WA where the wind blows and waves get rough

--part1_0.356a525c.25425561_boundary--