RE: [ecpa] Water Spout!

Stallings Mike (Stallings_Mike@prc.com)
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 10:09:19 -0400

Rye,

Mini water spouts are actually quite common there. I used to see them a
lot on light wind days when the jets were coming in from the south. More
often you will just hear a very odd sound, like wind rushing over a mylar
sail, which I figure is a vortex that never quite reached the water. When I
first started windsurfing there I used to be baffled by those eerie noises,
until I saw a spout and realized what was happening. They do happen a
minute or so after the jet has passed. On some days you can see one
waterspout after another. There are several windsurfers there who claim to
have been slammed down by one. But usually the spouts happen on light wind
days when no one is out anyway.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Rye Gewalt [mailto:ryeg@vais.net]
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 1999 7:54 AM
To: JackRams@aol.com; Foertsch Jim; Potter List; ecpa@onelist.com
Subject: [ecpa] Water Spout!

Hi Jack:

I had thought about going out yesterday, but it looked a bit more than I
could handle so, instead, I pulled the boat for the season as my slip runs
out at the end of the month and I won't pay $500+ to keep a piece of ice
over the winter.

I was, however, out Tuesday afternoon and had an interesting experience.
The wind was running well below 10mph and I rigged the spinnaker and full
main. Just after I rounded the corner south onto the river, and shortly
before the two markers by the sunken wreck, an interesting thing happened.
All of a sudden I heard all of the sheets tighten and the sails snap/stretch
out into full shape. Then the boat slowly heeled 'til the starboard rail
was almost in the water. I thought that maybe I was going to have a more
exciting afternoon than I had planned and released both sheets. The boat
popped upright, but the sails didn't flap around like they usually do when I
release them in high wind. Then I looked aft and saw the cutest little
water spout -- about a foot and a half high -- dancing away up river. It
lasted about thirty seconds. It was a wing tip vortex from an a big jet
that had landed at National Airport a few minutes before!

I watched for more spouts, but saw none. I've only see them a few times
before and always wondered what would happen if I got caught in one. I
suspect that it could have been worse as I know that such things can flip a
light plane in the right conditions.

For the rest of the list, National Airport is on the Potomac and I was
sailing under the southern approach about a half mile from where the planes
touch down. They are usually about two hundred feet up at that point, but
sometimes they are lower.

Pulling the boat was routine -- but the Potomac water is already
uncomfortably cold. About the only problem I had was that I forgot to check
the trailer tire pressure before I left home and when I put the boat onto
the trailer they looked a little low -- so I had to run home and get my
little compresser and air 'em up. I pressure washed the hull in the
driveway yesterday afternoon and removed all of the green scum, but the
bottom is a permanent shade of brown. I will paint the bottom before the
boat goes back into the water in spring...

Regards
Rye Gewalt
Grace II 1990 HMS 18 S/R
Springfield, VA

JackRams@aol.com wrote:

Hi Rye!
I believe I saw you going out today. I was going out earlier but decided the

wind was beyound my skill level. I hope to get out a couple more times
before
the ice forms.
Hope you had a good sail!
Jack