RE: Potter outfitting questions-Thanks to all

Sayer, Chris (ChrisSayer@StratfordGroup.com)
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 12:19:31 -0500

Andy -

A couple more thoughts to add to the mix... We purchased a P15 with the
P.O.P. this spring. (We love it) We had genoa tracks added by the factory,
as I share your aversion to drilling holes in my hull.

I am a believer in keeping things simple.

To date we have used our boat in very much the same manner that you
described, sailing on relatively protected bodies of water, no night sailing
or overnighting. In my opinion, the P15 is very well set up for this type
of sailing without the complexity of many of the options that are available.
(Plus, uninstalled components never break and cost nothing to replace.)

However, I will readily acknowledge two reasons why my opinion might not fit
with your situation:

1) I don't generally singlehand the boat. With my wife and son aboard, that
gives me four extra hands. If I were sailing solo, I'd be more inclined to
add the safety and convenience of CDI, but as it is I feel comfortable that
the calculated risk that I run is a reasonable one.

2) Our weather is fairly predictable. Here in Northern California, we don't
have the random thunderstorms that can pop up in the Midwest. I spent a some
time in my college days teaching sailing on Lake Michigan, and watched in
horror one day as a rapidly moving storm front came through and tossed a
fleet of students in 420s into the drink. We went from becalmed to 30+ knots
in a couple of minutes. It was a bad day that left an impression on me.
Several boats were damaged, one turned turtle and dismasted, and a couple
people needed treatment for hypothermia.

Everything is a trade-off. I believe that I sail a responsibly equipped
vessel for the likely conditions that I will face. I could add CDI, plus any
number of other devices and increase my safety incrementally, but at
significantly increased expense. And ultimately, still never be completely
safe.

For my type of sailing, the best heavy-weather strategy is avoidance. A
Potter 15 can weather just about any blow, provided she's in the garage.

I got the Nissan 3.5. Runs well, seems to be plenty of power for the boat,
in fact I seem to be pushing hull speed at about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle (Two
lines above the "turtle", or "turtle + 2" as I tell my son when he is
manning the "engine room."

Chris

P15, #2380, "Akala"