Re: Cheap Furler and Vang advantage

Rye Gewalt (ryeg@vais.net)
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 16:53:11 -0500

--------------7A7CC2CD9B681F41ACD6E543

Tom:

I'm reluctant to respond to the list on this one as I know it will arouse some
ire, but.....

I have actually used my Barton to reef the jib. Given the small fore sail
size on our boats (even the Genoa) the only limitation seems to be the strength
of the line around the furler spool.

But...... I have a lot of heartburn with any furler that says that it is also
a reefer. One would think that a true jib reefing system would have to involve
the sail too since it must retain sail shape when reefed to meet the needs of
the purists out there. OTOH when you reef you are generally trying to depower
the sail so who really cares about optimum sail shape.

I had a Siren 17' and now have a Potter 19' and both had little cheap furlers
and I could reef successfully with both of them -- given the loss of sail shape
when reefed. I must say that I am an inland sailor (rivers) and generally
don't try to get stuck out in really heavy winds -- and when I do I usually
furl the jib 100% and then reef the main as necessary. Coward vs Cowboy!

Yes, I did the cheep vang and somewhere did a parts list but can not find it.
They were all parts from West Marine and I will dig around in the catalog and
see what I can find. The double V jam block was around $18 and the double
block at the bottom was a standard that I had laying around.

Thomas Grimes ( tgrimes@gw.bsu.edu ) did it even cheaper by using a single
block at the bottom end. Since mine has an extra loop, it has better
mechanical advantage, but I can bend the boom with mine. Toms design has more
than enough mechanical advantage for a 19' and I would use his approach unless
I had to deal with some really severe weather. Tom and I share the same
attraction for things that are inexpensive (read, German Lutheran ...er maybe
Catholic given the recent reconciliation)

Regards
Rye