Re: Taking my boat to IM tomorrow for CDI/Genoa or Lapper

TillyLucy@aol.com
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:29:23 EST

Dave,
The standard jib on a Mk. II Potter is a lapper (the foot of the sail reaches
past - overlaps - the mast). So your only choice, if you want a larger sail
on your CDI, is to get the genoa. Makes sense to me, anyway, roll it all the
way out when you want to maximize sail area, make it smaller when you don't.
Some folks have said that sail shape will suffer when the sail is reefed and
I think this is true on big boats where the roll can get large and the
tension on the luff uneven. But the P-15 sail is so small to begin with that
there really isn't much sail on the furler when it's reefed. My old boat, a
14 ft. high perforamance sloop called a Sesame had roller furling and I never
had any issues with sail shape when reefed (I was usually cold and wet and
hanging on for dear life). I disliked the furler because it took extra time
to rig and was harder to transport. But we have plenty of wind around here
and I have seldom wished for the extra sail area of the genoa on my P-15. If
I needed a genoa regularly I think I'd like to have it on a CDI like you've
described.

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632 Tilly Lucy
Palo Alto, CA