Re: p15 results cruiser challenge

TillyLucy@aol.com
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 01:53:07 EST

I don't think that you will find a single, unique reason why the boats
finished in the order they did. Because of the light and fluky winds, the
sailor's ability to "read" the wind was important. The only boat that was
head-and-shoulders faster than the others was the Capri 16. The rest of the
fleet really mixed it up, indicating it wasn't the type of boat that
mattered, but how it was sailed.

But, if you'd like to develop some hypotheses, here's a little ammo.:

Jerry, Judy and Leroy all have new(ish) sails. (but so did the Scott & Glenn
from IM)

In the small boat class, neither the first or second place finisher carried a
gas outboard (Todd paddled, the Monty had an electric which lifted entirely
out of the water)

Also, both of the above were daysailing only and were likely not carrying
gear for overnighting.

Todd's P-14 went like stink upwind, passing all of the big boat fleet, except
for his Dad. Downwind, he lost ground and was re-passed by several 19s and
being reeled in by the rest of the P-15s. The rest of the 15's were busy
picking off 19s on this leg in the light air. The rig on the Barrilleaux P-14
is unique - somebody correct me if I get this wrong, but I believe the boat
is a Mk. I but is flying the 4 sided mainsail of a Mk. II in combination with
the higher aspect ratio (and slightly smaller) Mk. 1 jib.

Todd, myself and Harry were sailing solo, several of the P-15s behind were
two-handed. I don't know about the all the boats ahead of me, but I think
Jerry may have been singlehanding too ( I heard Carol say she wasn't
going....).

Anyway, the most significant memory I have of the race was how much fun it
was and keep in mind that's really what matters most of all.

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632 Tilly Lucy
Palo Alto, CA