Re: p15 results cruiser challenge

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 14:29:52 EST

In a message dated 11/10/99 11:17:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,
hlg@pacbell.net writes:

> We seemed to
> be closing on the big-boat fleet. I could see the tanbark sails of Judy's
> P19 "Redwing." Incredibly, Redwing looked like she was parked. I wondered
> if she had grounded or had just run out of wind. As we know now, she was
> more or less in irons, as Judy and Dave were learning how to come about
> with their brand new genoa.

I still can't figure out how we did as well as we did, since we put Redwing
in irons at least four times. Each time we'd got her moving again, and she
would just just fly with that big genny! We'd pass a few boats, blow the
tack, fall behind, and then pass the same boats again.

In this case, it was definitely not an option to blame the equipment -- it
was obviously and hilariously skipper ignorance on our part! I should have
practiced with the sail at least a little before the race.

And by the way, we did run aground at the upwind mark and it took about a
minute to get free. What is is with my keel lately?!?

Best,
Judy