Re: CONCRETE BLOCKS

Ron Magen (quahog@access1.net)
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:45:15 -0500

John,
1] It's {the blocks} are termed 'interior ballast'. the previous owner was probably
worried about any heeling. Or if it was the dealership, they were 'fudging' their
demo rides as bit.

2] Larry Brown, in one of his books, made the statement that he would like to see a
LIGHT WEIGHT WOOD centerboard (in a P-19) with a "couple of CINDERBLOCKS" as the
actual BALLAST. Someone might have been experimenting with this theory.

3] The 'fastening' is probably epoxy or poly resin. I wouldn't want to suggest the
usual method for breaking the bonds, it would probably damage the trunk itself. Try
these two suggestions:
A) get some DRY ICE, pack it around the base of the block (where the epoxy is)
use duct tape & rags to hold it in contact. When it gets to freezing, put a board
on top of the block (or on an end if the blocks are resting on the sole) and hit it
with a SLEDGE or SHORT MAUL - whatever is heavy with a lot of mass that you can
swing in the space available. WARNING - HAVE SOMEONE with you - outside the cabin,
and have the forward hatch open and a fan blowing FRESH AIR INTO the main hatch.
'dry ice' is CO2 and you can pass out from lack of oxygen.
B) Get a 'block chisel' and cut the block as close to the trunk as you can,
then try the 'Dry Ice' trick. Or try to carefully chisel & grind it flush.

Regards,
Ron Magen
Ron's Backyard Boatshop
Master - s/v Quahog (P-19, #575)