Re: Trailer ride

hlg@pacbell.net
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 23:22:09 -0800

Dave Lang:

According to the web page at <http://www.sailorschoice.com./nbharbor.htm>,
there is now only one launch ramp in Newport Bay - the 7-lane ramp at
Bermuda Dunes in the back Bay, on the wrong side of the Pacific Coast
Highway bridge. I don't have a chart here that shows the bridge clearance,
but the information about the pumpout station indicates that only "low
profile" boats can get under the bridge. Apparently it is the same bridge I
had to go under in 1970. My gunter mast was shorter than the aluminum-stick
P15s, but it appeared l had to have the mast down to clear the bridge.
There was another ramp near the bridge at that time, which I think was the
one I used, but it was also on the wrong side.

<http://www.sailorschoice.com/nb/nbnav.htm>, states: "A road bridge extends
from North at Pacific Coast Highway to the Back Bay/Newport Dunes area with
a 20 foot clearance at mean high tide over the main channel." Hey, I could
get under with my lateen rig mast, but I don't know about the rest of you.
The P15 specs show mast height above deck as 15 ft 6 in and the aft cabin
height as 3 ft 9 in. The sum of those two dimensions is 19 ft 3 in, but
the actual height from waterline to masthead should be several inches less
than that, so it looks like your P15s can make it unless there is an
unusually high tide or you don't go under the center of the span, or the 20
ft number is incorrect. (Check the chart.) Looks like no-go for the P19s
though. The specs show the mast extends 22 ft above the deck and the cabin
height is 5 ft. Maybe at very low tide... and you fill the P19s full of
water... and heel a little...

Maybe it is not that big a deal to raise and lower the P15 mast on the
water. I sailed with a friend on a Venture 21, who had to anchor and raise
the mast after clearing the bridge between Huntington Harbor and Anaheim
Bay. I don't recall it being a problem. It should be easier on a P15 or
even a P19. Cyrus Wind Dancer told about a time when his P15 was about to
be swept by the current under a low bridge, and he managed to get the mast
down just in time to clear the bridge.

I don't know how I got into this; I don't plan to make the cruise. It's
just that my earliest Potter sailing was in your area. I was living in
Westminster when I bought my P14.

Harry
Mountain View, CA