Re: 2 HP Honda

TillyLucy@aol.com
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 12:00:25 EST

In a message dated 11/28/99 4:46:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
WZeitler@compuserve.com writes:

> Correction : For the record.....the Honda 2 HP/4 stroke is _essentually_
> air cooled [ as far as the cylinder, cylinder head, etc... ]
> BUT....BUT....the exhaust is _water cooled_ and does indeed have a water
> pump.

Thanks for setting the record straight. I can't say that it makes any sense
to me why, in a design where light weight and compactness are a prime
consideration, a company would choose to carry the complexity and extra parts
of two types of cooling systems - forced air AND water cooling. But it that's
the way it is, then that's the way it is and I'm glad you've corrected my
error. I apologize to those I've mislead and to the shop I suggested was
incompetent or dishonest.

Unfortunately, this knowledge decreases my desire to buy one of these engines
by about 90%. I perceived one of the big advantages of the air cooled engine
as making it unecessary to run the engine in a big bucket of fresh water in
order to rinse out the saltwater from the water pump, internal passages, etc.
after saltwater use. The Mercury 2.2 that I have now often spends more time
running in the bucket than it did pushing the boat!

Maybe paddles aren't so bad after all.....

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632 Tilly Lucy
Palo Alto, CA