Re: new hatch cover

Tim Spofford (tims@spof.org)
Tue, 07 Dec 1999 21:42:47 -0800

At 08:05 PM 12/07/1999 -0800, you wrote:

>My understanding is that Lexan is tougher than plexiglass (much harder to
>break), but that it scratches more easily than plexiglass.
>
>Anyone know for sure which is right? When one of my side windows cracked I
>had Tap Plastics make me two new ones of smoked Lexan (polycarbonate?).

I haven't any experience with it on a boat, but my parents put Lexan sheets
in as a cover for part of their yard, an area roughly 18 x 10'. When they
sold the house two years later it still looked new, even though it took a
fair amount of abuse from birds, falling pine cones and small branches, and
year round exposure to Oregon weather. Given the last, however, I can't
say how well it might hold up to sun. <g>

Tim Spofford
P-19 #611
Kirkland, Washington
http://spof.org