Coax Connectors and cables

Jim Nolan (panache426@hotmail.com)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:49:43 MST

>From: Rye Gewalt <ryeg@vais.net>
>To: charles@falk.net, Potter List <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
>Subject: Re: Coax Connectors
>Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 05:33:57 -0500
>
>Charles Falk wrote:
>
> > Would a couple of BNC or TNC connectors on RG58 pigtails be better than
> > a PL259 on the cable from the mast connecting to an SO239 bulkhead
> > connector on the cabin roof?

The UHF connectors can handle alot more power than either BNC or TNC.
UHF~2kW, BNC~10W TNC~25W. Also the UHF is less bothered by corrosion because
of its large area. A UHF connector that can feed through the cabin roof is
available from Pasternack Enterprises 949-261-1920, Irvine, CA. It is part
#PE9114 UHF female to UHF female bulkhead mount. It costs $8.95 in single
piece quantities. I would cover the outer portion with a rubber cap when it
is not in use.

Do not splice coax cable. You can get away with splices in short runs (less
than 12" at 150 MHz) but on the boat the cable is 20-50 ft long. Any splice
or impedance bump will seriously limit the match between the antenna and
radio and could in some cases burn out the radios final amplifier. Use
connectors to join cables.

Also a better cable than RG58 and still the same size is RG142. It has half
the loss but costs about 4 times as much. RG58 will have about 3 db loss per
100' at 150 MHz and RG142 will have about 1 dB. In a typical boat
installation you will get about 60% more power to the antenna using RG142
over RG58. RG58 is .40/ft in 100' qty, RG142 is $1.63/ft in 100' qty.

Over and out,

Jim Nolan P-19 #426 Panache