Re: VHF-FM Antennas

Ted Duke (tduke@rockbridge.net)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 20:38:23 -0500

Dennis,

I don't know anything EE (NO grins). BUT, my Potter came (used)
with the antenna mounted on the cabin top on the port side (even
with the mast) on a flat surface ratchet mount that pivots 180
degrees. Seems to work well. I have only used it for
transmitting a few times, but seemed to work really well. Mount
I am talking about appears to be the same as the one shown in
Defender 99 catalog (P234) #4186 or BOATUS 99 catalog (p29)
#307022. West Marine also carrys them, but I don't have a
current catalog.

I like it because the way it's mounted it doesn't interfere with
the boom or lines, and when trailering it folds forward or aft.
I fold it forward and it tucks neatly just inside the Bow
Pulpit.

I supppose it has BNC or or TNC or PNC or some such connectors,
but I wouldn't know one from the other. If it ever stops
working I'll certainly ask for help here and then get one of
these guys to interpret the advice for me in a private post.
<BG>

I have considered moving the antenna up the mast, but have't
seen the neeed yet. Maybe if I ever get timeto drift the
Chesapeake Bay. The cable, oops, COAX, is probably long enough.
It runs to the radio (about 3 feet) thru the hatchway and the
excess (seemed like 1000 ft when I coiled it is stuffed above
the radio. THAT ought to make several of you cringe, RIGHT JIM
NOLAN? Probably crushes the signal and shortens the range or
something. <?>

later,

Ted Duke
WWPs19 #626 The Duchess