Handheld vhf and other connectors

Jim Nolan (panache426@hotmail.com)
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:11:40 MST

Some suggestions for low cost, reliable connectors.
1. Stay away from bulkhead type connectors, they collect water unless
properly shrouded. The shroud makes them expensive.
2. Try automotive connectors with the wire bundle fed through the bulkhead.
You then use a smaller hole and less leaks. Make sure you have some type of
strain relief or anti chafe collar in the hole. Boat trailer four or six pin
connectors work well. Also look at automotive 2 pin connectors like the
Potter mast light type. If this isn't big enough try snowplow connectors
from companies like Western or Meyers. (They have web pages and sell these
connectors). Snowplow connectors can take almost 100 amps and have built in
boots to keep snow, water and salt out, as do trailer connectors. You can
always enclose the connector in a plastic bag as long as it is not attached
to the bulkhead.
3. The most overlooked part of any connector in a harsh environment is
dielectric grease. Use dielectric grease to lubricate the hood for easy
connect/disconnect, to protect the electrical terminals from corrosion and
to provide an additional water seal to the boot. Dielectric grease can be
bought at snowplow supply stores and electrical supply stores. It will help
almost any connector, especially in a marine environment.

Dielectric grease can be bought from Western Snowplows (online)or
MCM electronics, part # 20-885 $4.49 single piece, 1-800-543-4330, known as
Luberex Grease in 2 fl oz tube. I think Western has the better value if you
use alot of it.

Jim Nolan P-19 #426 Panache